Monday, August 13, 2012


DON SELF SHARES HIS THOUGHTS: Why I am the best candidate for Harris County District Judge for the 152nd District

by Don Self
For Your Thought Matters Readers

My name is Don Self, and I am a Republican candidate for the 152nd Civil District Court.  I am a fourth-generation Texan and Houston native.  I graduated from Westbury High School in Houston.  I am married to Kimberly Self and we have three children; two daughters and a son.  After high school, I joined the U.S. Navy where I served for six years.  I was awarded a Navy Commendation, two Navy Citations and an honorable discharge for my service.

I hold a JD degree and a Masters of Law degree in health law from the University of Houston.  I am a certified mediator/arbitrator.  I am a certified attorney ad litem and guardian ad litem.  I have been practicing law for more than 16 years in civil litigation representing individuals and businesses.  My practice areas are diverse and broad-based, ranging from simple to complex, multi-party litigation, including, but not limited to business, commercial disputes, commercial real estate, aviation law, personal injury, elder law, health-care law, nursing home abuse and class actions.  I have handled cases in state and federal courts in Texas representing plaintiff and defendant clients on a local and national basis. My diverse and broad-based practice provides experience in depositions, pre-trial motions, trial, mediations, arbitrations and settlements in simple to complex, multi-party litigation including class actions.

I am a Leadership Houston member class XXV.  I served on the Leadership Houston Board of Directors (2007-2009), Leadership Houston, Vice-Chairman, Business Development Committee (2007-2009).  I am a member of the Houston Bar Association, Pasadena Bar Association, Republican Party, Memorial Drive Baptist Church, Boy Scouts of America, Neighborhood Centers, Inc.  I served on the City of Houston Building and Standards Commission, Commissioner, Panel 3, (2006 – 2009).  I am a member of  the  College of the State Bar of Texas, International Ombudsman Association,  BBB – Mediator and Ford Motor Company Autoline Arbitrator, EEOC – volunteer mediator, ADR Section – Texas State Bar, Construction Law Section – Texas State Bar, Association of Conflict Resolution, Texas Mediator Credentialing Association, Texas Association of Mediators (TAM), NAA-National Apartment Association, Houston Realty Business Coalition.

My volunteer community involvement includes Leadership Houston, Neighborhood Centers, Inc., Arbor School, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, and Girls Inc.  I am the head of the men’s ministry at Memorial Drive Baptist Church. I am a volunteer mediator in healthcare and elder care, family and employment disputes for the Better Business Bureau, EEOC.  I do pro bono mediation, counseling and ombudsman assignments involving nursing home conflicts.

I am the most qualified candidate for the 152nd District Court because of my advanced education, certifications, military leadership, depth and breadth of my legal experience and my community service.  I continue to update my education and stay involved in the community in a leadership position.

AUBREY R. TAYLOR: This comment was provided by Don Self for Your Thought Matters Newspaper readers heading into his 2012 Republican Primary runoff race for Harris County District Judge for the 152nd Judicial District.