Friday, August 10, 2012

CARL PITTMAN SHARES HIS THOUGHTS: Why I am the best candidate for Harris County Sheriff

by Carl Pittman
For Your Thought Matters Readers

As Sheriff of Harris County I will work with and serve the entire community.  From Katy to Clear Lake, from Sunnyside to Acres Home, your zip code will not be a factor when it comes to being served under a Sheriff Pittman led Sheriff’s office.   I will obey the law, therefore gaining the public’s trust to enforce it.  No one will be above the law.  As the highest elected law enforcement official in the county the sheriff needs a blend of experience.    As a United States Marine, successful businessman and Master Texas Peace Officer with 19 years of law enforcement experience I have the temperament  discipline, professional management knowledge and law enforcement experience needed to guide the third largest sheriff’s office in the United States.   An operation with approximately a $400 million dollar budget requires fiscal discipline and planning. I will implement a Zero-Based Budget policy to identify wasteful spending and cut it.  This will allow the sheriff’s office to operate efficiently without losing our effectiveness while having the fiscal resources to accomplish our primary mission which is keeping the community safe.

My experience within the Sheriff’s Office gives me a distinct advantage over my opponent, as my assignments have included, Detentions, Human Resources as a Background Investigator, Executive Bureau experience as an Internal Affairs Investigator and now currently as a member of the Criminal Investigations Bureau.   My previous law enforcement in San Diego County, California during the Rodney King riots in Los Angeles gave me valuable insight as to why law enforcement must be trained for every imaginable scenario.  My experience as a Narcotics and Gang Detective has prepared me to address the growing cartel threat under which Houston/Harris County finds itself.   I will bring all available resources to combat the ongoing human trafficking threat and other issues related to illegal immigrations.

The Sheriff is not only responsible for putting people in jail.  As Sheriff of Harris County I will bring attention to those young people most at risk to help keep them from coming to jail.  I believe every child that can avoid jail because of proper involvement from the community is a success story for us all.

As Sheriff I will solicit input from the community to make sure that we are working together in a partnership to keep the community safe.   I will bring a tough on crime, common sense style leadership to the Harris County Sheriff’s Office.   Finally, I will bring a proven track record of sound, professional decision making to the office.

AUBREY R. TAYLOR: This comment was provided by Carl Pittman  for Your Thought Matters Newspaper readers heading into his 2012 Republican Primary runoff race for Harris County Sheriff.