Wednesday, August 8, 2012


CINDY VARA-LEIJA SHARES HER THOUGHTS: Why I am the best candidate for Harris County Constable for Precinct #1

by Cindy Vara-Leija
For Your Thought Matters Readers

I seek the office of Constable, Precinct 1 because I am the most veteran, full-time law enforcement professional in this race. I have the experience, skills, and professionalism needed to take Precinct 1 into the future, and to make it a place where integrity, respect, and, most importantly, the needs of the community are held in the highest regard possible.

After rising up through the ranks at the Constable’s Office, last year I retired as a captain who supervised over 60 deputies. Over the course of my career, I had the opportunity to work in almost every division in Precinct 1, including Mental Warrants, Criminal Warrants, Civil Division, Juvenile Division, and Courthouse Security. I also had the opportunity to serve as a liaison to civic associations and community organizations, which allowed me to form relationships with residents that continue to this day.

In order to take the Harris County Precinct 1 Constable’s Office into the future, I plan to raise the standard of professionalism across the board by:

• Conducting a top to bottom review of the precinct

• Creating an Office of Professional Responsibility

• Requiring law enforcement management and ethics training for the entire staff

• Establishing a mentorship program for deputies

• Improving communication with other law enforcement agencies

• Implementing a non-discriminatory policy that protects both employees and the public

• Addressing law enforcement’s ever-increasing role in mental health issues

In addition, I want to make the community an integral part of Precinct 1’s work, something that has been missing for too long.

It is an honor to be in the Runoff Election for the position of Constable, Precinct 1. I would be grateful for your support on July 31st. Together, we can move the Harris County Precinct 1 Constable’s Office forward and once again focus on serving our community.

AUBREY R. TAYLOR: This comment was provided by Cindy Vara-Leija  for Your Thought Matters Newspaper readers heading into her 2012 Democratic Primary runoff race for Harris County Constable for Precinct 1.