KERYL L. DOUGLAS:"Humbly yet passionately, I seek to become your next President-Elect of Houston Lawyers Association. The acronym, “HLA SOARS!” indicates my proposed “5-Point Strategic Plan” if elected on Tuesday, May 12th."
· Continuing our work to provide scholarships for current and future law school students; especially to increase number of law students/attorneys from underrepresented communities | Enhancing scholastic performance of law students and admission test-takers | Recognizing scholarly achievement/contribution of attorneys; especially HLA members | Increasing access to scholarly opportunities for attorneys/HLA members: CLE’s, advanced degrees/certifications, etc.
· Build upon current and past efforts of our esteemed previous leaders to increase outreach which will:
1) Empower and inform surrounding communities, particularly the underserved, of rights, laws, opportunities; access to legal assistance and protections; as well as to social, racial, judicial, economic, educational justice and equality; 2) Increase volunteerism, aide, collaborative assistance which elevate quality of life, particularly for the underserved; 3) Increase presence and participation on societal issues of concern; 4) Increase collaborative partnerships with other community service organizations to further HLA’s mission; 5) Help increase number of attorneys from underserved communities in general, as well as in major firms, corporations, judiciary and positions of leadership; 6) Implement, highlight, and further National Bar Association initiatives, advancing HLA’s and NBA’s visibility, recognition, and effectiveness locally in furtherance of HLA’s mission; 7) Increase collaboration with other state, national, international groups on issues of shared focus.
· Build upon work of previous administrations to increase advocacy activity/projects, programs, awareness, visibility, effectiveness, and reach | Insure presence, participation, progress through vigilant advocacy on issues of crisis and importance in surrounding communities, nationally, and worldwide | Increase collaborative alliances with other advocacy individuals/groups in furtherance of HLA’s mission.
· Reengage ALL previous members of HLA to rejoin with reignited passion to serve and participate | Reengage communities, corporate, political and educational arenas, etc., for involvement, collaboration, dialogue. | Reengage students of all surrounding law schools to help prepare and transition them successfully into legal careers, service, volunteerism, especially those from underrepresented communities.
· Establish, implement, increase initiatives which: 1) insure and further the success of HLA’s mission; 2) support, aide, enhance success of local attorneys, especially HLA members, via career connections, preparation and promotion to policy/political positions, professional development/enhancement assistance, etc.; 3) support, assist, enhance successful matriculation, graduation, job placement of HLA law student members; 4) assist potential students’ success with applying and qualifying for law school admission and scholarships; especially potential students from underrepresented communities.
HLA Elections will be held during its regular May Meeting, Tuesday, May 12, 2015, 6:30 p.m., Thurgood Marshall School of Law, 2nd Floor.
Please JOIN prior to that time! You can join and pay online. Students can join FREE!!!
Please VOTE Keryl L. Douglas, HLA President-Elect 2015! Thank you!